Leafy streetscapes, heritage buildings and neighbouring Kings Park are the backbone of West Perth’s character and charm, brings together all the benefits of inner-city living in an established village setting. A neighbourhood on the cusp of change as a vibrant, intergenerational place for new residents and workers.
What we’ve heard:
- Enhance Hay Street town centre with feature lighting; strengthen connections to Kings Park.
- Activate commercial vacancies and encourage development of a weekend and evening economy.
- More arts and cultural activities.
- Community safety and support.
- Improving public transport connection and frequency; parking management for residents and visitors.
- Continue to work with neighbourhood groups, residents and stakeholders to support activation, events and business vitality.
Neighbourhood Commitments 2021/22
Strengthening Hay Street’s community heart
Recognising Hay Street’s role as West Perth’s social and economic heart, a range of public realm improvements will be delivered to distinguish it as the neighbourhood’s primary activity centre.
1-hour free parking on Hay Street
We’re supporting local West Perth businesses and encouraging visitors through 1-hour free on-street parking on weekends and public holidays.
Lighting up Hay Street
The “Light it Up” public art program will focus on 1232 Hay Street West Perth, and will feature a dynamic, engaging lighting installation that beautifies the surrounding area and builds on the neighbourhood’s character, making it feel safe and welcoming.
Making West Perth lighter and brighter
Lighting upgrades will be delivered along Kings Park Road from Thomas Street to Fr and Harvest Terrace will significantly enhance existing amenity, whilst designs for new lighting on Hay Street between Outram and Colin Street will also be progressed.
Harold Boas Gardens playground
Enhancing facilities at this picturesque parkland, design for a new playground including nature play elements will be undertaken this year.
Events and Celebrations
Local neighbourhood Australia Day celebrations are planned along with Skyworks in West Perth.
A three-day event in April 2022, Heritage Perth weekend celebrates our natural, cultural and built heritage and its ongoing contribution to our community.