Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Ombudsman service - Parking Infringements

The City of Perth has its own Ombudsman Service that can only receive complaints and investigate a:

a) decision or recommendation;
b) an act done or omitted; or
c) a procedure

which relates to a parking infringement appeal against the City.

Your infringement appeal must be fully considered by the City via the internal City of Perth process for parking infringement appeals before you can refer it to the Ombudsman. The City has a comprehensive process to consider requests to review or cancel parking infringements. If you are not satisfied with the outcome you may also seek a decision in the Magistrates Court. However, you may also refer the matter to the Ombudsman prior to the Magistrate's Court, but not before it has fully progressed through the internal City of Perth process.

How to refer a parking infringement matter to the Ombudsman

You must have made an appeal through the City’s internal process for parking infringement appeals and it must have been fully considered by the City before you can refer it for review by the Ombudsman. A complaint or appeal regarding a parking infringement must be made to the Ombudsman in writing. You should provide details of the complaint and a reference number if you have one. Be specific about why you have referred the matter to the Ombudsman and what action you would like to have taken.

What happens after the parking infringement matter is referred to the Ombudsman?

The Ombudsman will decide whether to consider the matter and you will be informed of the decision and the reasons. If the Ombudsman considers the matter, a decision may be reached on the basis of information provided, or an investigation undertaken. The Ombudsman will provide a report to the CEO that will include a recommendation of action to be taken.

How do I know I will get a fair hearing?

The Ombudsman is not an employee of the City and is not subject to direction by the Council or the CEO. There are guidelines that determine the jurisdiction of the Ombudsman and the processes to be followed when conducting an investigation, in particular a requirement to maintain a high standard of procedural fairness. 

City of Perth Ombudsman contact details

For information on how to contact the City of Perth Ombudsman, please call City of Perth Infringement Services on 1300 366 461.

What if I do not agree with the action taken?

If after referring a matter to the Ombudsman you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may choose to have the parking infringement matter heard by a Magistrate in the Magistrates Court. 

The WA State Ombudsman is also available to investigate complaints about the decision making and practices of WA public authorities including local governments to find out if they are lawful, fair and reasonable.

Further information

You can find more information about how the City issues parking infringements and the options for appeal at the following website: