Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Building and extensions

If you’re thinking of doing renovations or extensions to your property, you’ll need to first get council approval and building certification. If you’re working with a builder or tradesperson, they’ll likely cover the paperwork for you.

Here are some things to consider as a resident, owner, or renter undertaking work.

Do I need building approval?

Building permits are usually required for work relating to (but not limited to):

  • Residential additions and alterations.
  • Swimming pools and spas.
  • Garages, carports and sheds.
  • Patios, decking and garden structures.
  • Fences and retaining walls.
  • Water tanks.

Some minor internal and external changes, such as utility fittings don’t need approval from council, but will still need to follow our planning policies and may need other regulatory checks.

Major building changes may also require development approval. It’s the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that, if required, development approval is granted before submitting a building application and to ensure the building drawings match.

The Australian Government has a Renovations and additions guide that talks through possibilities and requirements in greater detail.

Building approval forms

Some of the common forms required for home renovations are:

These forms are a requirement of the Building Act to make sure the appropriate regulations and residential design codes (R-Codes) are met.

More information

For more information on the Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012, see the Building Commission Guide to Building Approvals.