Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
ceremony 2021 v3


Becoming an Australian citizen means you can call Australia home with all the privileges and responsibilities of a person who was born here. It is a step that will enable you to say "I am Australian". At the City of Perth we take great pride in helping our residents achieve this final step in becoming Australian citizens.

Becoming an Australian Citizen

If you plan to become an Australian citizen, visit the Department of Home Affairs website for guidance and advice on the process. Their website provides step by step guides, eligibility criteria and alternative pathway options for interested parties.

The Department of Home Affairs can arrange your citizenship application, interview, test and approval process.

Citizenship ceremony

To be eligible to attend a citizenship ceremony at the City of Perth, you must reside within the City of Perth council boundary and have completed your application process with the Department of Home Affairs. 

Once your application has been approved, the Department of Home Affairs will send you a letter of approval. Details of approved candidates are sent to councils approximately six weeks before a ceremony date (so it is likely that we may not have your details on our records if you have only just received your approval letter).

The City of Perth conducts regular citizenship ceremonies throughout the year with one of those being the Australia Day Ceremony. 

Citizenship ceremonies consists of:

  • Welcome to Country
  • The Minister’s Message
  • Guest speech
  • Citizenship preamble
  • Pledge of Commitment
  • Presentation of citizenship certificates
  • Presiding Officer's speech
  • Affirmation by an Australian citizen
  • The Australian National Anthem. 

Frequently asked questions

Planning for your ceremony

  • Can I choose to attend a ceremony at the City of Perth, even if I don’t live in the council boundary?
    No. Candidates are required to attend their ceremony with their local council. Department of Home Affairs will share your details with your local council only, as it is their responsibility to provide this service to you. Attending at your local council also provides you with an opportunity to meet and speak with your locally elected members and Government representatives. 
  • I have received my letter of approval. When can I attend a ceremony?
    The City of Perth is unable to provide you with a ceremony date until we receive notification from the Department of Home Affairs that your citizenship has been approved. These notifications include a full list of candidates who are approved for ceremony.  Once the City of Perth has received this notification, you will be invited to a scheduled citizenship ceremony.
  • How long will I have to wait before I get an invitation to my ceremony?

    Waiting times vary between two to four months. Invitations are sent approximately five weeks prior to a ceremony. 

  • Is it possible to arrange a ceremony earlier than the next scheduled citizenship ceremony?

    Urgent or private ceremonies are available through the Department of Home Affairs, at their offices.

    These types of ceremonies are reserved for candidates who require conferral of their Australian citizenship due to extenuating circumstances. Any candidates requiring a private ceremony must contact the Department of Home Affairs to obtain an Urgent Ceremony Request form. Completed forms must be submitted to the Department of Home Affairs along with supporting evidence. The Department of Home Affairs is the approving authority and will assess each situation to determine whether a private/urgent ceremony is to be provided. 

  • Where are the ceremonies held?

    Ceremonies are held at:  

    Council House 
    27 St Georges Terrace 
    Perth WA 6000

  • What do I need to bring with me?

    You must supply proof of identification in the form of photographic evidence (Australian driver’s licence, foreign passport or another official document which includes a photograph). If you do not have photographic identification you will need to bring at least three documents with your name, address and signature such as credit cards, bills and bank statements. If you do not have sufficient proof of identification, you will be unable to register and therefore, unable to attend your ceremony.

    A ceremony date will be offered when the correct photographic evidence is available.


Attending the ceremony

Additional Information

  • As enrolment and voting is compulsory for all Australians, how do I enrol so that I am eligible to vote?
    There will be Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) representatives present at your ceremony. They will have enrolment forms with them and you will be required to complete one of these forms on the night.
  • What pledge am I taking? What is the difference between pledge 1 (oath) and pledge 2 (affirmation)?

    There are two pledges, one that mentions God (pledge 1 – oath) and one that does not (pledge 2 – affirmation). You would have nominated which pledge you are making when you filled out your application form at the Department of Home Affairs. The Department of Home Affairs advise us of your nominated pledge when they send us the candidate names. You will receive your nominated pledge on a pledge card when you attend your ceremony. Making your pledge out loud and in English is a legal requirement to validating your citizenship. You will be asked to make your pledge in two groups, not individually. If you are making pledge 1, the oath, you are welcome to bring a holy book of your choice to make it on:

    • Pledge 1 (oath): "From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey." 

    • Pledge 2 - (affirmation): "From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey."
  • I have lost my citizenship certificate, what should I do?
    The City of Perth cannot re-issue or replace citizenship certificates. You will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 880 to arrange a replacement certificate. Further information is available via the Department of Home Affairs website.