Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Key Details

Service TypeEvent bookings
What you needIf you are thinking about applying for an event these frequently asked questions may help you in the planning of your event. 
  • Why do I need to apply for an event permit

    An event permit ensures that the event is held in accordance with the City’s Local Laws and State Legislation.

    You will also have full support from the Activity Approvals team who will guide you through the application process to ensure you run a safe and successful event.

  • Parks and Gardens hire approval process

    After your application is submitted it will be assessed by the Activity Approvals team. 

    If your initial application is approved, a step by step process will be sent to you, outlining the required documentation and time frames for you to receive your Event Permit. A cost estimate of your event fees and charges will also be sent to you, payment is required before bump-in of your event and prior to the permit being issued to you.

    The team will work alongside you and with other units at the City, such as: Building Services, Environmental Health, Parks, Waste and Cleaning, Transport and Parking.

    The team will also assist in maintaining communication with key stakeholders; such as WA Police Force, Main Roads WA and the Public Transport Authority. Event organisers are responsible for providing all relevant and up to date information of their event, and should leave sufficient time to plan and submit documentation and management plans

  • What is the difference between a social gathering and an event

     Social gathering refers to an activity that does not require an event permit, due to the low impact of the activity.

    The general rule for social gatherings is; expected attendance of under 50 people, infrastructure under 20sqm and no external food or drink supply. If you believe your event falls under the social gathering activity you can fill out the Social Gathering Form on this page.

  • What is the approval time frame for my application

    If your event is to be held on a reserve or city park, it is advisable to secure a booking of your preferred location at the earliest opportunity.

    Approval of events and assessment of documentation takes time, the below guide is an approximate timeline the applicant can use for when it comes time to submit an application:

    • Low impact events; two weeks before event commencement.
    • Medium impact events; three months before event commencement.
    • High impact events; six months before event commencement.
    • Major impact events; six to twelve months before event commencement
  • Other frequently asked questions

    What other activities in the city will require a permit?

    The City also issues permits for activities such as: flyer distribution, marches and rallies, obstruction permits, public trading and drone and filming permits.

    Where can I find out more information about holding an event within the City?

    Please refer to the Event Planning Guide for all information on planning and holding an event within the City of Perth. You can also use this page to navigate your way to specific bookable spaces within the CBD.

    Where can I find out about the fees and charges to hire an event site?

    Please see the City's event fees and charges.

    How much area of the reserve can I use for my event?

    When submitting an application, you will be required to nominate your preferred event location and supply a site map. The assigned Activity Approvals Officer will review your application and assist you in securing the best location within the reserve for your event activities.

    Can I access the reserve by vehicle to bump-in and bump-out my event?

    Yes, however not all reserves are accessible by vehicle, those that are have specific entry and exit points and conditions for vehicle access. Refer to the venue map under the park or reserve you are hiring for access points. If you require vehicle access to a reserve, you will be required to complete a vehicle access form and schedule, detailing vehicles requiring access and times of access.

    Is there accessible power within the reserves?

    Some of the City's parks and reserves have power access.You will need to apply for an event permit to use the power at the reserve.

    Are there accessible water points within the reserves?

    Some of the City’s parks and reserves offer accessible water points. You will need to apply for an event permit to use the water at the reserve.

    Are there any other available venues or spaces for hire within the City?

    The City invites new and innovative ideas on spaces that may be suitably activated for an event. To discuss your ideas, please contact our Activity Approvals team on (08) 9461 3333 or email