Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Busking Permit Application

The City of Perth greatly values the diversity of entertainment that buskers and street performers provide in public areas. The City is also committed to providing a safe, accessible and culturally sensitive environment for all visitors, workers and residents.

Key Details

Service TypeArts
What you needVideo recording of you or your group performing and a description of your act.
Eligibility requirementsAnyone from school age up can apply for a permit. Permits for buskers under 18 must be completed by a parent or guardian. Previous applicants must wait two months before re-applying.
Applicable laws
Public Trading Local Law (2005) Street Entertainment Policy (18.9)
DurationBusking permits can be assigned for 3 (three) or 12 (twelve) month durations.
Fees$0. No fee is applicable.

Frequently asked questions

  • Do I need a busking permit?

    Yes, under City of Perth's Public Trading Local Law 2005, a permit is required for busking in a public place.

  • What is considered busking?

    Types of busking performances may include:

    • performing with an instrument or multiple instruments
    • live performance, including but not limited to singing, dancing, mime, clowning, juggling, puppetry, comedy, magic or living statue act
    • performing a Circle Act (in permitted locations only)
    • creating visual art (excluding aerosol art).

    The following activities are not considered to be busking and are ineligible for a busking permit:

    • fundraising, events or promotions, even if they involve an element of performance
    • spruiking, religious or otherwise
    • political rallying
    • begging
    • tarot card reading, fortune telling
    • massage, chiropractic treatment or other physical manipulation
    • face or body painting
    • temporary tattoo applications
    • balloon clowning
    • vendors of any kind including the sale of jewellery, craft items, flowers, glow sticks, prefabricated artwork and other merchandise
    • any activity defined as ‘trading’ pursuant to City of Perth’s Public Trading Local Law 2005.
  • How do I apply for a busking permit?
    • Carefully read the Busking Guidelines (available for download at the top right hand corner of this page).
    • Complete the Busking Permit Application Form
    • If you do not have access to a computer, hard copy application forms are available from Council House, 27 St George’s Terrace, Perth.
    • You will be required to provide a link to a video of your performance (YouTube or Vimeo only).
    • Visual artist applicants will be required to submit up to six photographs of their work and their set-up.

    Applications are assessed by the City's Activation and Cultural Experience team, which can take up to 10 working days. You will be advised of the outcome of your application via email.

  • Renewing your permit

    You will be prompted to renew your permit 5 days before it expires. To express interest in renewing your busking permit you will need to complete a busker permit renewal form.

    Because of the high volume of applications received each year, renewed permits aren’t issued automatically. A renewed permit request will be assessed with equal weighting with new permit applications on a monthly basis.

  • Lost Permit ID Cards
    If you lose your permit ID card there is a $12 replacement fee.


Busking guidelines

  • Where can I busk?

    If your application is successful you will be allocated a permit type, which will allow you to book at pitches that correspond with your permit category.  

    For more information about busking permit types and locations, please read the Busking Guidelines.

  • Where can't I busk?
    • Busking is not permitted on either side of the Perth Train Station Concourse, or on Padbury Walk (the upper concourse above Murray St Mall).
    • You cannot set up in an area where you disrupt traffic or pedestrians.
    • You cannot set up in the doorways of shops or buildings.
    • You cannot set up alongside or interfere with planned events in the city.
    • You cannot set up too close to a pitch or other performer, so as to interfere with their act.
  • Merchandising

    Charges related to selling merchandise have been waived. 

  • Amps and noise restriction

    Performers with amps are permitted at all pitches except the Hay St Mall. We are in the process of working with the Buskers Guild to establish noise-level based restrictions, rather than banning amps altogether in smaller areas.

    We acknowledge that some non-amplified acts may have noise decibels higher than an acoustic performer on low amp settings and are working to create a fairer system to assess noise levels.

  • Performance times

    The City usually limits acts to between one and six performers. The City may allow larger groups to perform and this is assessed on a case by case basis. Performers can set up in one location for up to 30 minutes at a time. After 45 minutes buskers must move to another location at least 50 meters away. Buskers cannot perform in the same location twice within a four-hour window. This system is set up to ensure that all buskers get equal opportunity to perform.

  • Underage Performers

    Students and children are permitted to apply for Busking Permits, with the permission of a parent or guardian. There are a few conditions for performers 14 years and under that must be accepted when applying for a permit.

    A performer under 14 must:

    • Be accompanied by an adult at all times.
    • Perform outside of school hours.
    • Perform between the hours of 6am and 7pm.

Need more help?

If you have any further questions please contact: 9461 3333 or email: