Located in Forrest Place, the Winter Fest Theatre is one of the major activations of Winter Fest 2019 and will see an impressive program of free shows across the winter school holidays featuring magicians, acrobats, comedians, jugglers, singers and more.
The accessibility features will be rolled out across select shows running from 6 to 21 July to ensure people of all abilities can enjoy the performances.
As well as a dedicated accessible seating area in the theatre, select shows will have an Auslan interpreter and closed captioning for the hearing impaired while an audio description service will be implemented for people who are blind or vision impaired.
Tactile tours will also be offered prior to some shows so people who are blind or vision impaired can explore and get a feel for the stage and props before the performance starts.
In addition, the City of Perth will transform the usual first-aid marquee into a dual-purpose space. The temporary space will become a sanctuary for children with autism to allow them to take a break if the crowds become too much. This safe space will also be available to others who may need it, such as breastfeeding mums.
City of Perth Deputy Chair Commissioner Gaye McMath said the City celebrated acceptance, respect and inclusion and was proud to welcome people of all abilities as part of Perth’s vibrant community.
“We want everyone to be able to participate fully in Winter Fest and we hope these accessible features encourage people from all backgrounds and abilities to come along and enjoy the excitement of the Winter Fest Theatre,” she said.
The Winter Fest Theatre’s online booking system will indicate shows with additional accessibility features – including any non-verbal shows – and allow attendees to note down any specific requirements. Shows are free but bookings are essential and can be made through winterfesttheatre.oztix.com.au
For a full list of Winter Fest events and offers, see visitperth.com.au/winterfest
Issued by: Tomi Ellis, Corporate Communications Officer, 0437 653 511, firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Fest runs from 24 June to 21 July, with the Winter Fest Theatre open from 6 to 21 July.
The Winter Fest Theatre seats up to 280 people.
WINTER FEST THEATRE
6 to 21 July | Forrest Place | Various session times from 10.30am to 3pm | Free, bookings essential
Featuring magicians, acrobats, comedians, jugglers, singers and dancers, Forrest Place will be transformed into a theatrical hub these winter school holidays. Perfect for adults and children alike. There will also be adult-only sessions (18+) on Friday 12 and 19 July for those who want a night out without the kids.
- Hey Presto – be entertained and amazed through comedy, magic and balloon sculptures
- Magnus’ Explosion Laboratory – explore, experiment and learn about STEM with Magnus Danger Magnus
- The Leaping Lillies – join the team for circus antics and old-fashioned mischief as they show off their incredible gymnastic skills
- Libby Hammer presents The Adventures of Charlie, Dizzy and Stella – an interactive show that lets children echo simple melodies while following along on an exciting adventure
- The Chipolatas – see high-octane circus skills, music, theatre and dance with a difference
- Beeswax and Bottlecaps presents Who Nose? – a classic non-speaking theatrical clowning show with elements of circus, acrobatics and slapstick
- Winterfest Theatre Cabaret – be whisked away by circus and spectacle artists, variety acts and physical comedy all whipped together for a night to remember (18+).