History Centre Collection
This collection is dedicated to collecting and preserving items relating to the history of the City of Perth from early days of settlement to the present. Although concentrating on the area that has been the City of Perth since the Local Government boundary changes in 1994, former suburbs in the Town of Victoria Park, Town of Vincent and the Town of Cambridge are also covered up until that date.
The History Centre Collection is a reference collection, items cannot be borrowed. Many of the items are rare and irreplaceable. As such, if you have access to these items you asked to use extreme care. You may be asked to wear gloves when handling these items.
Please bring only pencils.
The collection includes -
- Photographs - the collection is quite extensive, with the earliest photographs dating from the mid 19th century. Many aspects of social and working life of the City are covered. Eg. streetscapes, town planning, road and park developments and civic functions.
Copies of many of the photographs are available for sale.
- Local newspapers
- Microfiche - W.A. BDM Records (Births/Deaths/Marriages), City of Perth Rates books, East Perth Cemetery Index, Battye Indexes)
- Oral history tapes - the Oral History collection captures the history of CBD businesses, with a particular focus on retailing. These recordings are an invaluable source of research material
- Topic files - subjects covered include buildings, projects, people and events
The History Centre Collection is open Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 5:00pm.
Contact the History Centre Librarian on 9461 3598 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can help!
- Donate items - we have a wish list of older books difficult to obtain. Please ask for details
- Lend us your photographs - please lend us your photographs of the City or events in the City. We will copy them and return them to you
- Share your memories - Have you worked at or owned a business in the City of Perth? Please share your memories with us for our oral history collection
- Memorabilia – do you have programs, tickets or leaflets from the theatre, bus or tram or an event that you are willing to donate to the History Centre Collection?