Sustainable Business Leaders
2012 Program - Supporting the longevity of Business in Northbridge
The Sustainable Business Leaders program is a partnership and rebate program for small to medium enterprise (SME’s) with up to 200 employees.
It is a holistic sustainability program to help achieve measureable environmental, social and economic outcomes.
The Sustainable Business Leader Program is all about helping you to be a business leader, now and well into the future by:
- being smarter with the resources you already have
- achieving ‘more with less’
- reducing energy use
- reducing water use and waste
- considering community needs
- encouraging strong business ethics
- supporting your local economy
The program helps you to identify and implement ways to improve your business's daily operations and can save money, protect the environment and increase business longevity, productivity and competitiveness.
The second round of the Sustainable Business Leaders program is scheduled to commence in May 2012. The response to the program was positive and the following buisnesses have been awarded a place in 2012:
- Red Stripe Clothing
- Butcher Shop
- PICA Bar and Café
- The Blue Room Theatre
- Exotic Body Piercing
- State Theatre Center of WA
- City Farm
The program involves access to an Industry Expert who will complete a sustainable business health check and mentor each business in the preparation of a Sustainability Action Plan (worth up to $1,750). Additional mentoring can be provided with a rebate available to cover cost up to an extra $1,400.
The Green Skills program will follow assisting businesses to become more environmentally aware by offering practical advice from industry experts on how to implement better work practices resulting in reduced operating costs and increase marketability as a green business (worth up to $315).
What does my business get?
- One-one-one mentoring from a qualified and experienced small business professional.
- Clear and practial direction to allow your business to meet its full potential.
- A Green Policy which is essential to work with big business.
- Extra mentoring rebate worth up to $1,400 and access to City of Perth enviornmental and small business grants worth up to $10,000.
- Reduced operating costs including potential savings in electricity, water, gas, travel and waste. All contributing to a smaller environmental footprint.
- Participation in the program can contribute to formal business qualifications, if desired.
- A competive edge for your business - by use of the City of Perth's 'Sustainable Business Leader' branding in advertising and promotions appealing to sustainability conscious consumers.
- Networking opportunites.
Proven Results and Testimonials from current pilot participants
- Inspired by the environment assessment and expert advice, one participant implemented energy sustainability actions, resulting in savings of $1,200 per energy bill.
- Demonstrating leadership in sustainability a restaurant participant removed the use of white table-cloths. This has resulted in a cost saving of $2,000 per week, on laundry bills and staffing costs associated with ironing and setting table.
“…the City has stepped up as a leader embarking on a program to help small businesses in the city become more sustainable, helping shape our future as the best city in the world."
- Matthew Clarke, Bar 138
Speech Sustainable September 2010
‘I can see huge value in the program for us and other small business – most founder around. This gives an opportunity to develop clear processes’.
- City Farm
‘Fantastic initiative. Well thought out and structured. Great commitment from the City of Perth Staff’.
- Restaurant Amuse
‘This program is a great beginning and I will definitely recommend ongoing process’.
- 43 Below
Results from the SBL Evaluation Survey 2010 overall revealed that ‘all participants were glad they were able to participate in the Pilot so far and 86% said they would recommend the program’.
- City of Perth, Survey Results 2010
For more information, download a Program Flyer here.
To express your interest in the next round (sheduled for 2013) please email email@example.com
or contact Yasmine Blair, Economic Development Officer on 9461 3196.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call Yasmine Blair, Economic Development Officer on (08) 9461 3196 for further information on the program.